I am the human resources director for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) in Rockville, MD. I work hard to make the ASHA National Office a desirable workplace. I'm proud of the recognition ASHA has received as a health and wellness trailblazer, an ecoleader, a champion for diversity and a generally great place to work.
I started Inside Workplace Wellness to share my experience leading our workplace wellness efforts. In 2011, I incorporated to consult with a few select organizations and help them ease the path to a healthy lifestyle for their employees. As it's worked out, I've consulted on broader HR issues that include performance management and compensation. I have a sound knowledge of benefits and experience aligning learning opportunities and staffing to support desired organizational outcomes. In additional to my functional areas of expertise, I'm interested in communication, negotiation and decision making.
I serve as a subject matter expert for iWorkwell and I've authored a number of articles on their site. I've also started accepting more speaking and writing engagements on a variety of topics. (It's funny how much time you have once your children are grown.)
The views I express in this blog are my own personal opinions; I do not seek to represent my employer in any way. And, one more disclaimer, I have established affiliate programs with Amazon, Perform Better and Road ID. They're not profitable, but they are some of my favorite sources for products that support our wellness efforts.
Your comments on my posts are not only welcome, but appreciated. You can also reach me by email at email@example.com.
- The Crossroads Conversation, The ASHA Leader, February 2015
- Apps That Steer You to Quality Care: New tools for your mobile devices help you navigate the options and choose the highest-quality hospitals and clinics., The ASHA Leader, November 2014
- Top Workplace Wellness Trends for 2014, PayScale, March 2014
- Boost Your Resilience, The ASHA Leader, May 2014
- Make it Work: Manage UP, The ASHA Leader, October 2013
- Get the Most from a Job Offer, The ASHA Leader, May 2012
- Are Your Association's Business Cards Social Media Friendly?, Smart Blog on Social Media, February 2011
- Getting to Good-bye: 10 Tips to a Less Painful Termination, Smart Blog Insights, January 2011
- How ASHA Selected a New Health Plan Using Systematic Decision-Making, Smart Blot Insights, October 2010
- When the Candidate Experience Matters Most: 4 Tips to Help Candidates Feel Good Even When They Don’t Get the Job, Smart Blog Insights, December 2010
- Tools for a Successful Job Search, January 1997
You can see a more complete list of publications on Linkedin.
Select Mentions in the Media:
Select Mentions in the Media:
- The Evolution of Employee Benefits Communication, EBN, August, 21, 2015
- Best Places to Work: Association Edition, Association Career HQ, August 2015
- The Great Talent Chase, Associations Now, July/August 2015
- Hire Power: Finding Employees that Match Your Needs, Associations Now, August 3, 2015
- Spreading the Word: Signs Your Workplace Rocks, Associations Now, August 3, 2015
- 5 Easy Steps to a Wellness Program Employees Love, Employee Benefit News, July 28, 2015
- Which Companies Will Pay Me to Quit Smoking, Washington Post, June 19, 2015
- Working (safely) From Home, Safety+Health, January 25, 2015
- Underground Conversations, HRE Online, November 6, 2014
- Employee Benefits Forecast, HRE Online, July 21, 2014
- What Does it Take to Be a Top Workplace, Associations Now, July 3, 2014
- Tricks of the Trade: Advice for Building a Strong Workplace Culture, Washington Post, June 20, 2014
- In an Uncertain Economy, Pay Raises Hover at a Modest New Normal, Washington Post, September 29, 2013
- A Different Point of View, HRE Online, July 29, 2013
- HR Executive Health and Benefits Leadership Conference Recap, CoHealth Checkup, May 2, 2013
- Time Out to Think About the Time Off Issue, Washington Post, August 6, 2006
- Flexible Work Schedules Pay Off, The Boston Glove, September 26, 2004
- Airbo Case Study