|Available on Amazon|
I stocked our exercise room with foam rollers and I have encouraged our instructors to incorporate them in our classes so people know how to use them. In 2010, we held a myofascial release clinic to introduce more staff to foam rolling and other self-massage techniques. It was well attended and well received. I've been meaning to write this post ever since. Matt Hirn, one of the trainers we were working with at the time, even helped me create this little instructional video.
The benefits of foam rolling include:
- Release tight muscles.
- Relieve pain associated with working at a computer for long stretches of time.
- Improve circulation which aids in muscle performance and recovery.
- Improve the range of motion in your spine.
- Reduce the appearance of cellulite. (This last point is somewhat debatable, but it can't hurt to try.)
- Self-myofascial release: no doctor required
- Using Foam Rollers
- Foam Rolling -- The Basics from USAT
- 3 Ways a Foam Roller Can Help Triathletes